Online & Telephone
Online & Telephone Counselling
Online/Telephone counselling refers to therapy conducted via the internet or telephone. Some people may prefer to use video conferencing so that we can see each other as we speak, and some may prefer to engage in therapy using the telephone.
You direct your counselling by selecting the method of communication you feel most comfortable with; agreeing the time, the place and the pace of your counselling to suit your needs.
Every effort is made to provide a safe and secure environment for your online therapy with encryption software to protect your confidentiality and security.
How it works
Online counselling via video link is a way for you to see your counsellor face-to-face from your computer, tablet or mobile phone; whilst engaging in therapy. Being able to see your counsellor gives you more of the benefits you get from face-to-face counselling but with the convenience of online therapy. You may like to download Zoom prior to our session in preparation; however no prior download is necessary and you can connect directly from the link I will provide for you when I send you an invitation to connect via email. Then, all you have to do is to make sure you are online and logged in at the time of our appointment and our session will take place.
You may choose to engage in counselling using the telephone. Some people may prefer telephone counselling if they feel more comfortable being heard but not seen. A challenge of telephone counselling is that you need a private room where you will not be overheard. Online counselling offers certain benefits but there are also limitations that are worth bearing in mind when deciding which type of therapy will best suit your needs. For example, we won't be able to see each others reactions or notice body language on the phone. This means that we may need to explain what we are feeling verbally much more than we might do if we were face to face. At the agreed time of our telephone appointment, I will call you from my mobile phone and we can start our counselling session.
Benefits and challenges of online counselling
Some things you may enjoy about therapy online/via telephone are:
• You can create a comfortable and private space in your own home from which to attend therapy.
• You may find it easy to talk, focus and express yourself.
• You may enjoy wearing comfortable clothes, bringing a cup of tea and avoiding a commute after a therapy session.
• We may be able to be more flexible about scheduling.
• We will be able to continue our work together despite the pandemic.
• Research shows that online/telephone therapy is as effective as in-person therapy.
Some of the challenges we may face and things to consider:
• Losing internet connection or not having enough broadband.
• Other family members using multiple devices may slow internet speed down.
• Is there a computer terminal that you can use privately without interruption?
• Do you have a private space available for your session where you won't be overheard?
• Are you able to talk confidentially, freely and safely from your own home or surroundings?
• Would you prefer to see your counsellor face-to-face?
• Do you feel your situation is too complex to discuss via the internet?
Get in touch for a free 20 minute phone consultation to discuss what's troubling you and I'll let you know how I can help.